Monday, June 12, 2006

Fuck the CLA!

Yeah. You heard me right. A big organization that's big on principles -- which is fine-- but wheres the love for the poor MLIS students? A number of us discovered on the CLA website conference registration that first timers to the big big conference receive "complimentry" registration. It was latter found that a 90.00 registration fee was required, on top of the 50.00 student membership. Add this up with the costs of getting out to Ottawa, food, housing etc. and other fees for other workshops etc. and you have one big bill. It occurs to me that if the CLA wanted to induce MLIS students to get involved with the CLA they would indeed stay true to their word and give us complimentry registration for the conference and perhaps some reason to get involved. For my part I can think of many other organizations that are far far more worthy of my support...

3 comments:

Lauralee said...

Not to mention the $18 first-timers' breakfast. :O Please. I'm not surprised they don't seem to get many students going to the conference, which is a shame if they want to get students involved in the organization. I think I spent at least four hundred dollars on the trip; taking the conference fee out wouldn't make it *cheap*, but it would help...(and what was up with the saying it's complimentary and then changing their minds thing, anyway?!)

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I quit CLA about 4 years ago because I wasn't getting much for my (company's) money. I was a member of 6 associations at the time and CLA wasn't even close to being the most useful. (CLA, OLA, AAO, ACA, ALHHS, ARMA). I pared it down to ARMA (great monthly journal) and ALHHS (it was subject specific).

Cheers